Today I’d like to say THANK YOU to everyone who’s working in tech.
I’ve been my whole professional life in the tech industry. As an electrician, as a product manager, and everything in between. Even today as a business owner and coach-consultant.
Over the years I’ve come to see that many of us, people in tech, are in fact changemakers. We do what we do because we like to solve problems. Change things for the better.
Whether it’s big topics, such as:
– Finding ways to mitigate climate change
– Looking for efficient ways to convert, use, store, and manage energy
– Helping create a world that works for everyone
Or finding practical solutions to everyday things, such as:
– Keeping leaves from falling in and clogging up your gutter
– Autotuning monitor tone and brightness over the course of the day, so you’re able to see the road when you drive home in the evening
– Starting initiatives to make your workplace more fun and inclusive, so you and your colleagues feel welcome to share ideas and bring your best work
Whatever it is that you are working on: THANK YOU!
Something that I also noticed is that because we are so driven, looking for solutions, that we often tend to work long hours. And may sometimes feel frustrated by people who act less motivated. Or get overwhelmed as there are so many problems to solve and tasks to complete.
Yet we all know, that from an exhausted, overwhelmed, frustrated place it’s hard to make good decisions. It’s the quality of the decisions that we make, day in and day out, that largely determine the quality of our life, the quality of the products and projects we develop, the success of our businesses. That’s why in my current work as a coach-consultant, I help tech leaders and businesses owners and changemakers to get better at decision making and people skills. Because, ideally, we’d make decisions that benefit the whole: you, the people around you, and the world. Win-win-win.
As the year comes to a close, pressure is on to deliver and finish our projects and plans.
Thank you for reading. Thank you for doing the work you do. Thank you for being YOU.
Annemieke van Dorland
Founder and owner of Sparkle.coach
PS: if you like me or my work and want to stay in the loop, feel free to follow me on LI.